As this project was carried out on a ‘live’ site it was vital to have exceptionally high standard traffic management systems in place.
- Works on Topaz consisted of both demolition and construction work
- Demolition work included removal of the existing service station facility and the existing underground tanks
- Construction work included a new retail unit, forecourts, below ground petrol storage tanks and associated fuel pumping equipment for both HGV’s and cars.
- As the service station was kept live during construction, effective project management and co-ordination of all relevant specialist sub-contractors associated with these works was necessary
- Many challenges presented themselves with this project. Examples of these included traffic and public access management during construction removal of contaminated waste, and the presence of overhead power lines.